Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry
A perfectly saucy dish full of flavor. Beats the heck out of takeout!
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 1 lb boned, skinned chicken breast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce divided
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 6 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 6 cup broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 tbsp sambal oelek or other chile sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1/4 cup roasted salted peanuts chopped
Heat a wok or large frying pan over high heat until extremely hot, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 2 tbsp. oil and swirl wok to coat. Add chicken. Cook undisturbed until browned, about 2 minutes. Add 2 tbsp. soy sauce. Cook until liquid begins to caramelize around chicken, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate.
Add remaining 2 tbsp. oil to wok and swirl to coat. Add bell pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring often until garlic is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add broccoli, sambal oelek, and hoisin; toss to coat. Cook until broccoli is tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
Whisk together remaining 3 tbsp. soy sauce, the broth, and cornstarch; pour into wok and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened, 1 minute.
Stir in chicken and any juices. Stir-fry until chicken is cooked through and broccoli is tender about 1 minute.
Serve over rice, sprinkled with peanuts.