Chicken Salad with Bacon Croutons
The salad that keeps on giving.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 3 chicken thighs skin-on, bone-in
- 3 strips thick-cut bacon cut crosswise
- 2 cups country-style bread torn into misshapen pieces
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar divided
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups trimmed escarole or frisée torn into small pieces
- 1/2 small fennel bulb cored, thinly sliced
- 2 medium radishes thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup mint leaves torn if large
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
In a large skillet, heat a bit of olive oil over medium high heat. Place the chicken thighs skin side down and sear for 6-8 minutes.
Flip the chicken then place the pan in the oven and roast for an additional 8-12 minutes.
In a clean pan, fry the bacon pieces until the fat is cooked off. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towel.
Add the cubes of bread to the bacon grease and season well. Pour in red wine vinegar and cook for 2 minutes, or until the bread absorbs everything. Set aside.
Remove the chicken from the skillet and reheat the pan. Add shallots and sautee for 2-3 minutes until tender. Next, add the peas, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Stir and cook for 3 more minutes.
Cut cooled chicken into bite sized pieces. In a large bowl, toss with bread, bacon, frisee, fennel, and the shallot/pea mixture.
Serve and top with mint leaves.