Everything is better when it’s homemade…and ice cream is no exception to that rule.
1 small freezer bag
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons kosher or rock salt
Any flavoring(s) of your choice
Mix-ins such as chocolate chips, chopped strawberries, or crushed cookies (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 gallon-sized freezer bag
1. In the small bag, combine milk, heavy cream, sugar, a pinch of salt, as well as your choice of flavoring(s) and optional mix-ins. For simple vanilla ice cream, just add vanilla extract instead.
2. Remove as much air as possible from bag, before sealing tight.
3. Fill the larger bag halfway with ice. Add salt over the ice. Carefully shake the bag to help distribute the salt.
4. Place the small bag of ice cream mixture inside the larger bag, and seal well.
5. Shake the bag continuously for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until the mixture becomes firmer. Use a kitchen towel or oven mitts to protect your hands from the cold.
6. Remove the ice cream-filled bag from the ice, and wipe the bag clean of salt.
7. Scoop out the ice cream to serve
Recipe courtesy of Tastemade