Mexican Chicken Stew
A simple and zesty stew that will bring a touch of Mexican flavor to your dinner table.
- 3 lb chicken pieces skinned
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 cans fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can golden or white hominy drained
- 2 tbsp ground guajillo chile powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted pumpkin seed kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
Combine the first 8 ingredients (through bay leaf) in a 6-quart Instant Pot. Close and lock the lid and turn the steam release handle to seal. Press [Manual] and select “High Pressure”, then use [-] or [+] to choose 23 minutes pressure cooking time. When time's up, open the cooker using Quick Pressure Release. Remove the chicken from the broth mixture and let it cool slightly. De-bone the chicken and cut it into bite-sized pieces. Feel free to dump the bones now.
Strain the stock through a sieve over a bowl and discard any solid bits that come out. Return the inner pot to the cooker and the stock to the inner pot. Stir in chicken, hominy, chile powder, and oregano, then let it stand for 5 minutes. Skim the fat from the surface of the broth and ditch it.
Ladle the stew into 8 bowls and top each evenly with pumpkinseed kernels, cilantro, radishes, scallions, and queso fresco cheese.