Mexican Chicken Stew
A simple and zesty stew that will bring a touch of Mexican flavor to your dinner table.
- 3 lb chicken pieces skinned
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 cans fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can golden or white hominy drained
- 2 tbsp ground guajillo chile powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted pumpkin seed kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup sliced radishes
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
Combine first 8 ingredients (through bay leaf) in a 6-quartInstant Pot. Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Turn the steam release handle to “Sealing” position. Press [Manual]; select “High Pressure”, and use [-] or [+] to choose 23 minutes pressure cooking time. When time is up, open the cooker using Quick Pressure Release (page xxx). Remove chicken from broth mixture; cool slightly. Remove chicken from bones; cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Discard bones.
Strain stock through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids. Return inner pot to cooker; return stock to the inner pot. Stir in chicken, hominy, chile powder, and oregano. Let stand 5 minutes. Skim fat from surface of broth; discard.
Ladle stew into 8 bowls; top each serving evenly with pumpkinseed kernels, cilantro, radishes, scallions, and queso fresco cheese.