Sweet Pepper Pasta with Sausage
A colorful and delicious pasta with a vibrant, smoky taste.
- 1 lb uncooked orecchiette pasta
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage casings removed
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 1 lb multicolored sweet baby bell peppers thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/4 oz Pecorino Romano cheese finely shredded
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil
Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups cooking water.
While pasta cooks, cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high, stirring to break into bite-size pieces, until cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Discard drippings.
Add 2 tablespoons of the butter to skillet, stirring and scraping to loosen browned bits from bottom of skillet. Add peppers, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Stir in vinegar, salt, and garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in pasta, sausage, and remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Stir in cooking water, 1/4 cup at a time, until sauce is smooth and coats pasta. Discard any remaining cooking water. Stir in oregano.
Top servings evenly with cheese and basil.