Rigatoni with Vodka Sauce
Easy vodka sauce paired with rigatoni pasta, made in a dutch oven
Write a review
- Kosher salt
- 1 Onion (medium)
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 4 oz. Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
- 4.5 oz. Tube double-concentrated tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. Crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 oz. Vodka
- 3/4 cup Half-and-half
- 1 lb. Rigatoni pasta
- Basil leaves - for garnish
- Fill a stock pot or other pot three-quarters full with water and heat over high.
- Toss in handful of salt and bring to a boil while prepping other components.
- Peel and finely chop 1 onion.
- Firmly smash 4 garlic cloves with the flat side of a chef's knife, removing peel of clove.
- Finely grate 4 ounces of Parmesan for smallest option on box grater.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in Dutch Oven over medium heat (positioning next to water pot on stove).
- Add onion and garlic, while stirring constantly until onions brown around the edges (5-7 mins).
- Add entire 4.5 oz tube of tomato paste and 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, coating onions with paste.
- Continue to cook, stirring until paste is deep red with bottom of the pot turning brown (5-7 mins).
- Add 2 ounces of vodka to deglaze pan while stirring and reduce to low heat.
- Using a heatproof glass measuring cup, scoop 1/4 cup of boiling water from pot and mix with 3/4 cup half-and-half to measuring cup (to avoid breaking when adding to pot).
- Slowly add warmed half-and-half to Dutch oven, stirring constantly, until sauce is smoothed.
- Once sauce is smoothed remove from heat.
- Add 1 pound of rigatoni pasta to pot of boiling water, cook until al dente as package instructions.
- About 1 minute before pasta is done scoop 1 cup of pasta water and heat Dutch oven over low.
- Transfer wet rigatoni into the Dutch oven, adding 1/2 cup of pasta pot water to sauce.
- Gradually add half amount of Parmesan cheese, stirring constantly until melting.
- Thin out pasta sauce as needed with addition pasta pot water and drizzling oil.
- Serve then tear basil leaves over pasta for garnish.
- Provide additional olive oil for drizzling and creating consistent sauce.
SaucyRecipes.com | It's All In The Sauce http://saucyrecipes.com/
Easy rigatoni with vodka sauce, using a Dutch oven. Serves four with minimal ingredients.