Classic Pad Thai
Skip the delivery and make this easy Asian dish in less than an hour.
- 6 oz uncooked flat rice noodles pad Thai noodles
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 4 tsp sugar divided
- 2 tbsp banana pepper very thinly sliced
- 3 oz extra-firm tofu cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp peanut oil divided
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken thigh cut into thin strips
- 4 cups fresh bean sprouts divided
- 3 green onions trimmed, crushed with flat side of the knife and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp small dried shrimp
- 1/4 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
Prepare the noodles according to package directions; drain.
Combine vinegar and 1 tablespoon sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add banana pepper; set aside.
Place tofu on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels; cover with additional paper towels. Let stand 20 minutes, pressing down occasionally.
Combine remaining 1 teaspoon sugar, lime juice, and next 3 ingredients (through fish sauce). Combine eggs and salt, stirring well.
Heat a large wok over high heat. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil; swirl to coat. Add garlic; stir-fry 15 seconds. Add chicken; stir-fry for 2 minutes or until browned. Add pressed tofu; cook for 1 minute on each side or until browned. Pour in egg mixture; cook 45 seconds or until egg begins to set around chicken and tofu. Remove from pan; cut into large pieces.
Add remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to wok; swirl to coat. Add 2 cups bean sprouts, green onions, and dried shrimp; stir-fry 1 minute. Add noodles and soy sauce mixture; stir-fry for 2 minutes, tossing until noodles are lightly browned. Add reserved egg mixture; toss to combine. Arrange remaining 2 cups bean sprouts on a platter; top with noodle mixture. Sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro. Serve with vinegar mixture.