Classic Pad Thai
Skip the delivery and make this easy Asian dish in less than an hour.
- 6 oz uncooked flat rice noodles pad Thai noodles
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 4 tsp sugar divided
- 2 tbsp banana pepper very thinly sliced
- 3 oz extra-firm tofu cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp peanut oil divided
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken thigh cut into thin strips
- 4 cups fresh bean sprouts divided
- 3 green onions trimmed, crushed with flat side of the knife and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp small dried shrimp
- 1/4 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
Follow the directions on the noodle package to get them ready, then drain.
Combine vinegar and 1 tablespoon sugar, and stir them together until the sugar dissolves. Add the banana pepper and set aside.
Place the tofu on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels, then cover it with an additional layer of paper towels. Let it stand 20 minutes, occasionally giving it a gentle downward press.
Combine the remaining teaspoon of sugar, lime juice, and the next 3 ingredients (through fish sauce). Combine eggs and salt and stir well.
Heat a big wok over high heat. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil and swirl it around to coat. Add the garlic and stir-fry for 15 seconds. Add the chicken and continue to stir-fry for 2 minutes or until browned. Add the pressed tofu and cook for 1 minute on each side or until browned. Pour in the egg mixture and cook for 45 seconds or until the egg starts to set around the chicken and tofu. Take the chicken and tofu out of the pan and cut it into large pieces.
Add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to the wok and swirl again. Add 2 cups of bean sprouts, green onions, and dried shrimp, and stir-fry it all for 1 minute. Add the noodles and soy sauce mixture and stir-fry for 2 minutes, tossing until the noodles are lightly browned. Add the reserved egg mixture and toss to combine. Arrange the remaining 2 cups of bean sprouts on a platter and top them with the noodle mixture. Sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro. Serve with vinegar mixture.