Zucchini Fried Rice
This single skillet dinner is a weeknight-friendly meal the whole family can get behind.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini about 4 zucchinis
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 8 oz ground pork
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 2 cup long-grain white rice cooked
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh scallions plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic finely chopped
- 2 teaspoon chile-garlic sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Grate zucchini using the largest holes on a box grater. Place shredded zucchini in a clean towel, and twist to wring out as much water as possible (yielding about 4 cups).
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over high. Add pork; cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break into pieces until browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Add carrots and peas, and cook until slightly tender, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl; reserve.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in the skillet over high. Add rice, and spread into a single layer; cook undisturbed until dry and slightly toasty, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir, and continue to cook 1 minute.
Add zucchini, and stir to combine. Use a wooden spoon to move mixture to sides of skillet. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil in center of mixture. Add scallions, garlic, chile-garlic sauce, and ginger to hot oil; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in soy sauce, vinegar, and reserved pork mixture; toss to combine. Sprinkle with cilantro, and garnish with scallions.