Winter Veggie Soup
Throw the ingredients in the slow-cooker for an easy, nutritious meal.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 7 hours
Total Time 7 hours 10 minutes
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes peeled and cubed into small pieces
- 1 ½ cups green or brown lentils rinsed and picked over
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6-7 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 ½ cups baby spinach roughly chopped
- 4 lemon wedges squeezed
Place the sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, red bell pepper, garlic, lentils, spices, and 6 cups of broth into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on the low setting for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. Check the lentils for doneness. If you’re lentils have been in the pantry for a while, note that they’ll take a bit longer to cook through.
Using an immersion blender directly in the slow cooker, blend the soup buts but be sure to not blend all of it if you want it to have a chunkier texture. Stir in the baby spinach and lemon juice. Cover the slow cooker, unplug it, and allow the ingredients to just hang out for 30 minutes or so until the spinach wilts down.
Season with salt, pepper and curry powder to taste as desired. Thin with additional broth to desired consistency.
Serve and enjoy! 😀