Classic Seafood Paella
A delicious way to show a seafood fan you care.
- 2 cups Spanish rice or short grain rice soaked in water for 15 minutes and then drained
- 4 small lobster tails 6 oz
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large pinches of Spanish saffron threads soaked in 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Sweet Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes
- 2 large Roma tomatoes finely chopped
- French green beans 6 oz
- 1 lb prawns or large shrimp or your choice peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the lobster tails and let them boil very briefly until pink, about 1-2 minutes. Turn the heat off. Remove the lobster tails with a pair of tongs. Reserve the lobster cooking water. When the tails are cool enough to handle, remove the shell and cut it into large chunks.
Heat olive oil in a large deep pan. Add the chopped onions and saute the onions for 2 minutes/ Then add the rice, and cook for 3 more minutes, stirring regularly. Now add the chopped garlic and 2 cups of the lobster cooking water. Stir in the saffron and its soaking liquid, paprika, cayenne pepper, Aleppo pepper, and salt.
Stir in the chopped tomatoes and green beans. Bring to a boil and let the liquid slightly reduce, then cover and cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
Uncover and place the shrimp into the pan, pushing it into the rice slightly. Add a little water if needed. Cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes until the shrimp turns pink. Finally, add the cooked lobster chunks. When the lobster is warmed through, turn heat off. Garnish with parsley.
Serve the paella hot with your favorite white wine.