Hawaiian Chicken Casserole
Let's celebrate delicious tropical flavors with this easy Hawaiian-inspired dish!
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño chile seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup sweet onion diced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 1 1/2 cups diced red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 lb frozen, fully-cooked crispy breaded chicken strips thawed and cut in 1 1/2-in. pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh scallions
- 3 cups cooked jasmine rice
Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high.
Add ginger, garlic, and jalapeño; cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onion and salt, and cook, stirring often, until onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Add brown sugar, soy sauce, ketchup, and rice vinegar; bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved.
Sprinkle pineapple and bell pepper evenly in bottom of a lightly greased 3 quart baking dish. Pour brown sugar-soy mixture over pineapple mixture; top evenly with chicken tenders.
Bake in preheated oven until bubbly, and chicken is slightly crisp on top, about 20 minutes.
Toss mixture lightly to coat chicken, and sprinkle with scallions. Serve over rice.