This classic Greek yogurt sauce goes with just about anything.
- 1 large English cucumber peeled and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 sprig fresh dill for garnish
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper for garnish
Sprinkle the cucumber with the salt in a bowl and let it stand 10 to 15 minutes. This'll draw out juice.
Place the yogurt into a separate bowl. Dump the cucumber and its juice onto a sturdy, dry towel and squeeze as much moisture as you can from the cucumber. Mix the cucumber into yogurt, then add the garlic, cayenne pepper, and lemon juice. Mix everything thoroughly.
Stir the dill and mint into the mixture and season with salt and black pepper. Adjust all of the seasonings to your tastes.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge for at least 3 to 4 hours. It's also fine to leave overnight. Transfer the sauce to a serving bowl and garnish it with a sprig of dill and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper for color.