Spicy Vegan Potato Curry
Don't underestimate this curry just because it's meatless!
- 4 potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 4 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 1 inch piece fresh ginger root peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can peas, drained
- 1 14 ounce can coconut milk
In a big pot, place the potatoes and cover them with salted water. Bring that thing to a boil on high, then turn it down to medium-low. Put the cover on and let it simmer until the potatoes just turn tender, around 15 minutes. Drain it out and let it steam dry for a couple of minutes.
While that's drying, heat up the veggie oil in a big skillet on medium heat. Stirthe onion and garlic in, then cook and stir them until the onion is soft and translucent, around 5 minutes. Season them with the cumin, cayenne pepper, curry powder, garam masala, ginger, and salt, then let it cook for another 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, garbanzo beans, peas, and prepped potatoes. Pour the coconut milk in, and bring the whole thing to a simmer. Let it do that for 5 to 10 minutes, and you're ready to serve.