Vegan Black Bean Burger
Best served with a side of sweet potato fries!
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 baby carrots, grated Optional
- ¼ cup minced green bell pepper Optional
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 3 tablespoons chile-garlic sauce or to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 slices whole-wheat bread torn into small crumbs
- ¾ cup unbleached flour or as needed
Turn the oven up to 350 F and grease a baking sheet.
Mash up the black beans in a bowl, then add the onion, garlic, carrots, and green bell pepper. Mix it all up.
In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, water, chile-garlic sauce, chili powder, cumin, seafood seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Stir the cornstarch mix into black bean mix.
Mix the whole-wheat bread crumbs into the bean mixture. Stir the into the bean mix flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until a sticky batter forms.
Spoon mounds of the bean batter onto the prepared baking sheet, about a 3/4-inch thickness per mound, and shape them into burgers. Try to get the mounds as close to "burger-sized" as you can.
Bake the sheet in the preheated oven until the burgers are cooked in the center and crisp in the outside, about 10 minutes on each side.