This zinger of a sauce goes great on penne pasta.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ⅜ cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 14.5 ounce cans peeled and diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
In a big skillet or saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic in there for 5 minutes.
Stir in the wine, sugar, basil, red pepper, tomato paste, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, black pepper and tomatoes. Bring the whole thing to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Let the skillet simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
Stir in the parsley to finish it off, then ladle the sauce over your favorite dish.