Beefy Asian Lettuce Wraps
Fresh, crunchy lettuce with a savory Asian beef mixture cradled within.
- 16 Boston Bibb or butter lettuce leaves
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced pickled ginger
- 1 dash Asian chile pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 8 ounce can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 2 teaspoons Asian dark sesame oil
Rinse the lettuce leaves with water and carefully pat them dry. Be gentle, now, you don't want the leaves to tear. When they're dry, set them aside.
Heat a big skillet on medium-high. Cook the beef while stirring it and the cooking oil until it's brown and crumbly, around 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and ditch the grease, then transfer the beef to a bowl. In the same skillet you just used, cook and stir the chopped onion until it's slightly tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir the hoisin sauce, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, and chile pepper sauce (if you're using it) into the onions. Add in the water chestnuts, green onions, sesame oil, and the beef you prepped. Cook and stir that whole thing until the onions start wilting, about 2 minutes.
Place the lettuce leaves around the outer edge of a big plate and fill each with the meat mixture.